How do I dress (layers?) for the Akron Marathon?
- Weather in Akron, Ohio in the Fall can vary dramatically. We suggest you bring gloves, a hat and long sleeve shirt. Early in the race, you might have to shed some clothes so don’t wear anything too nice in case you want to throw them away (your competitor bib number must be pinned to the front of the clothing you wear since event officials will be inviting unregistered runners to exit the course. You could be mistakenly identified as an unregistered runner if your bib number is not visible). If you want to shed some clothes prior to the race start, you will be able to check them in at the Gear Check Station and have it transferred to the finish line.
- Average Temperatures on Race Day
Is the Akron Marathon a qualifier for the Boston Marathon?
- Yes, the course is a USATF Certified Course and is a qualifying event for the Boston Marathon. Qualifying times can be viewed here.
Will photos be taken along the course and at the finish?
- Yes. There will be photo points along the course as well as at the finish in the stadium. Race photos can be viewed and purchased by visiting www.runphotos.com.
What do you send out following registration?
- Final instructions are sent 2-weeks prior to the race via email (if an address is provided). If we do not have an email address, a copy of the final instructions will be mailed to you.
Where should I park?
- FREE parking is available in all Downtown Akron parking garages and surface lots on race day. Please visit the Directions & Travel section of our website for additional details.
Are showers available on race day?
- Yes, shower facilities will be available for free at the Downtown YMCA. To use the Y’s facilities, you will show your bib at the front desk. There will be directions in with your Final Instructions as well at information booths race weekend.
Can I register on the day of the race?
- No, the last opportunity to register is at The Health and Fitness Expo on Friday, September 27, 2013 at the John S. Knight Center provided that the race has not sold out by the expo date.
If I sign up for the half and I later decide that I want to run the marathon, can I switch events? Is there an additional cost? How can I change my status prior to race day?
- You can transfer from the half to the marathon provided that the marathon is not sold out. You must first register and pay for the marathon and then contact the marathon office via email alerting us of the change. You will be issued a rebate check based on the lowest fee paid. THERE WILL BE NO REFUND OF YOUR ORIGINAL REGISTRATION FEE. These changes can only be done prior to September 13th and must be communicated through the mail or e-mail.
If I sign up for the relay and I later decide that I want to run the marathon, can I switch events? Is there an additional cost? How can I change my status prior to race day?
- You can transfer from the relay to the half provided that it is not sold out. You must first register and pay for the half and then contact the marathon office via email alerting us of the change. You must complete the Relay Team Change Form (downloadable form via our website) and fax it to the marathon office and notify us of your replacement for your relay portion. THERE WILL BE NO REFUND OF YOUR ORIGINAL REGISTRATION FEE. These changes can only be done prior to September 13th and must be communicated through the mail or e-mail.
If I sign up for the marathon and I later decide that I want to run the half, can I switch events? Is there an additional cost? How can I change my status prior to race day?
- You can transfer from the marathon to the half provided that the half is not sold out. You must first register and pay for the half and then contact the marathon office via email alerting us of the change. You will be issued a rebate check based on the lowest fee paid. THERE WILL BE NO REFUND OF YOUR ORIGINAL REGISTRATION FEE. These changes can only be done prior to September 13th.
Can a race bib be transferred to someone else?
- No. Bibs are not transferable. Transferred bibs will result in disqualification.
I was injured after registering for the race. Can I get a refund or defer until next year?
- No – there will be NO refunds or deferments. We incur fixed costs for each runner based on registration numbers. As a result, we are not able to allow any refunds.
Will you mail or email a confirmation to me?
- If you register online, you will receive a confirmation email immediately from Active.com. We do advise early registration as registration fees increase the closer it gets to race day.
Will the number of runners be limited in any of the events?
- In an effort to provide the same world-class experience for all of our runners, all of our events will be capped. The full marathon cap will be set at a maximum of 2,000 participants; the Half Marathon at 4,500; the Team Relay at 6,500 and the Kids Fun Run at 2,000.
What type of running surfaces are on the course?
- Other than the Towpath trail, which is a crushed limestone surface, the majority of the race is run on paved asphalt and concrete streets.
What is the time limit for the full Marathon and Half Marathon?
- The full marathon course will remain open for 6 hours and will close on a continuous pace of 13:44 min/mile. The Half Marathon course will remain open for 3.5 hours and will close on a continuous pace of 16:00 min/mile. Anyone who cannot maintain the pace requirements must move to the sidewalk or catch the SAG bus as the course will reopen and allow regular traffic through. Runner services cannot be guaranteed for participants beyond stated pace requirements.
What type of liquids do you provide along the course?
- We provide non-diluted lemon-lime Powerade and water at all fluid stations along the course.
Is it possible to drive the Marathon course?
- It’s not entirely drivable. You will not be able to drive through the Univeristy of Akron section, the Towpath Trail and access to Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens is limited. Otherwise, the remainder of the course is marked with a blue line and can be driven.
Will Pace Teams be available during this race?
- Yes, a pace team will be available. Visit the Pace Team section of our website under Marathon.
I have read that it sometimes helps if a friend joins you to run for a few miles at the end of the marathon (i.e. miles 22-24) for moral support. What are the marathon rules about this?
- Due to liability considerations, and out of respect for the registered participants, non-registered runners are not permitted to run or walk within the boundaries of the official marathon course. Friends may stand adjacent to the edge of the defined course and cheer the participants on! Friends must NEVER cross the finish line or enter the finish zone which begins approximately 2/10 mile before the finish.
Can I wear headphones while racing on the Akron Marathon course?
- Runners participating in the Akron Marathon may use portable listening devices not capable of receiving communication; however, those competing in Championships for awards, medals, or prize money may not use such devices.
What is the Half Marathon route?
- The Half Marathon will start at 7:00am on South Broadway Street (the same time and location as the marathon). The Half Marathon course runs the established marathon route up to the 11.1 mile mark, located at East York Street. Here the Half Marathon will turn left onto East York Street followed by a left on Schiller Avenue and another left onto Mosser Place. Runners will turn right onto North Main Street and head southbound on the Y Bridge towards downtown. The Half Marathon continues past the Y Bridge on South High Street until it reaches East Mill Street. The course takes a right hand turn onto East Mill Street followed by a left hand turn onto South Main Street. The full Marathon and Half Marathon courses merge at this point and all runners will head down South Main Street towards Canal Park stadium for an Olympic style finish. See the Half Marathon course map for further details.
Are wheelchairs, strollers, or special vehicles permitted on the course?
- The Wheelchair Division is limited to push rim racing chairs only. Due to course restrictions, we no longer permit handcycles on our course. The following items are not permitted on the course: skateboards, bicycles, roller blades, baby joggers, or any other types of vehicles (other than official Marathon vehicles). These regulations are for the participant’s safety and the safety of the other participants in the race.
What is GU? Who should use it and what purpose does it serve?
- GU is a carbohydrate energy gel. Energy gels have become widely popular for endurance athletes. They benefit athletes the most if they are engaging in an exercise regimen that will last longer than an hour at a moderate to high intensity (full and half marathoners). For those athletes exercising less than 60 minutes (relay runners)– there is no benefit of using these carbohydrate gels. Make sure you have tried the gels during your training to know how your body will respond to their use. The Akron Marathon will have 4 GU locations along the course offering chocolate & vanilla flavors. Opened and unopened gel packets will be available.
Can I run more than one leg of the marathon relay?
- Yes, a runner can run 2-consecutive legs; the team must be paid in full. The runner running two legs must be registered twice. Make sure you pick up both packets at the Expo. If a member of the relay team wants to run the first leg and then continue for the entire marathon or half, they must register for both & pay for both. On race day wear the half marathon/marathon bib which will contain your B-Tag timing chip & your relay D-Tag timing chip (on your shoe). After crossing the 1st relay exchange zone please REMOVE THE RELAY D-TAG on your shoe. Make sure you pick up both packets at the Expo. Please keep in mind that the 1st exchange zone has been moved slightly off the main course then connects back after the exchange. The exchange happens beneath the South High Street bridge as the full and half participants run over the bridge.
How many women and men need to be on a Mixed Relay team?
- Any combination is acceptable but must include at least one woman and one man.
How do I change a member of my Relay Team?
- It is imperative that the registration data associated with your race number does, in fact belong to you, the participant. While it may seem harmless to run under an unauthorized number, it does convey serious consequences to the organizers and participant field alike. Correct information allows medical staff to correctly identify participants in need of treatment and ensures accuracy of race results and awards. If you wish to change your team relay registration, you may do so with the following restrictions. You must download and complete a relay change form (available on our website). The form must then be submitted, following the instructions on the form. PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING DEADLINES FOR SUBMITTING RELAY CHANGE FORMS (SOME CHARGES APPLY).
- Changes requested prior to September 16, 2013 will be processed at the marathon office and will not incur an administrative fee. Changes will not be processed between September 17, 2013 and September 26, 2013. Change forms will; however, be accepted and processed at the Health & Fitness Expo, held on September 27, 2013. RELAY TEAM MEMBER CHANGES PROCESSED AT THE EXPO WILL INCUR A $10 ADMINISTRATIVE FEE PER PARTICIPANT. Corrections of personal data can be made free of charge. *Please download change form and completed prior to the expo, in order to expedite the process. Change forms will; however, be accepted and processed at the Health & Fitness Expo, held on September 27, 2013. RELAY TEAM MEMBER CHANGES PROCESSED AT THE EXPO WILL INCUR A $10 ADMINISTRATIVE FEE PER PARTICIPANT. Corrections of personal data can be made free of charge. *Please download change form and completed prior to the expo, in order to expedite the process.
Can someone pick my packet up for me?
- We strongly encourage all runners to pick up their own race packet at the The Health and Fitness Expo on Friday, September 27th, from 11:00 AM to 9:00 PM. It is important for runners to verify their data and make any necessary changes. However, if it is not possible for you to pick-up your own packet, you may have someone pick it up for you. That person will be responsible for verifying personal race information (name, age, birthdate, etc.). This is for special circumstances ONLY. Picking up multiple packets for relay teams is highly discouraged.
What age is Masters?
- You must be at least 40 years of age on race day.
Can I double dip with awards?
- No. You can only win one award. There is no double dipping for awards either in cash or age group awards. You will be awarded the highest dollar award.