CANCELLATION FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: What are my options for my registration fee since the race I registered for is cancelled?
A: There are 3 options:
- If you are able, you can turn your registration fee into a donation to the Akron Community Foundation’s Community Response Fund for Nonprofits. The Akron Marathon Charitable Corporation will be donating a minimum of $20,000. Runners that choose to donate their race entry will join the marathon in making an even bigger impact.
- Defer your registration fee towards the 2020 FirstEnergy Akron Marathon, Half Marathon & Team Relay (if not already registered).
- Defer your registration fee towards a 2021 Akron Children’s Hospital Akron Marathon Race Series event of your choice.
- Future Akron Marathon Race Series Dates:
- 2020 FirstEnergy Akron Marathon, Half Marathon & Team Relay on 9/26/2020
- 2021 National Interstate 8k & 1 mile on 6/26/2021
- 2021 Goodyear Half Marathon & 10k on 8/14/2021
- 2021 FirstEnergy Akron Marathon, Half Marathon and Team Relay on 9/25/2021
- Future Akron Marathon Race Series Dates:
*If you are registered for the race series, you will need to make this selection on your National Interstate & Goodyear registrations.
Q: How do I make my selection to defer or donate my registration fee? Is there a deadline to make this decision?
A: Please follow the steps below & complete by June 30, 2020:
- Sign into your Race Roster account
- Click “Edit registration” next to your registration(s)
- Select the “Registration questions” tab
- Find the question, “I would like to do the following with my 2020 registration fee”. Here you will see 2 options; Donate or Defer. If you select defer, a drop-down box will allow you to choose the event you would like to defer your registration fee to.
- Click the “Save & Exit” button at the bottom of the page.
View this video for step by step instructions.
If you have trouble accessing your account you can call our registration partner, Race Roster at 1-855-969-5515 or email us firstname.lastname@example.org
If you need to make edits after the June 30th deadline please email email@example.com & we will be happy to assist you.
Q: I have decided to defer my registration. What’s next? Do I need to register for the new event?
A: Yes, you will need to register for the new event.
If you are deferring your registration to the 2020 FirstEnergy Akron Marathon, Half Marathon & Team Relay, we will email you a unique code to register with.
If you are deferring your registration towards 2021 events, we will send you a code to register once 2021 registration opens. It’s essential that you register for the new event as we require a signed waiver for each event in which you participate.
Q: I have decided to donate my registration fee to; what do I need to do? Will I receive a tax donation receipt?
A: You will select the donate option when editing your 2020 registration(s).
Yes, you will receive a tax donation receipt from the Akron Marathon Charitable Corporation. The Akron Marathon Charitable Corporation will be making a lump sum donation to the Akron Community Foundation Community Relief Fund for Nonprofits on the runners’ behalf.
Q: Will the amount of my deferment cover the full price of the new event?
A: If you are deferring your registration fee to the same event next year, then yes.
- Example: Registered for the 2020 National Interstate 8k, deferring to the 2021 National Interstate 8k.
If you are deferring your registration fee towards the 2020 FirstEnergy Akron Marathon, Half Marathon & Team Relay you will receive a code for the amount you paid less processing fees.
- Example: Registered for the 2020 National Interstate 8k paid $55, deferring registration to the 2020 FirstEnergy Akron Marathon at $105 you will receive a code for $55 off.
In a case that you paid more for the National Interstate/Goodyear event and you are thinking about doing the 2020 FirstEnergy Akron Team Relay, we would recommend you deferring your registration fee to the 2021 National Interstate/Goodyear event so you are not losing the difference.
- Example: Registered for the Goodyear Half Marathon at $80, the FirstEnergy Akron Team Relay is $50 so we recommend you deferring to 2021 Goodyear Half Marathon and paying the 2020 FirstEnergy Akron Team Relay registration fee.
Q: I am registered for the race series; will there be an Akron Marathon Race Series this year?
A: The Akron Children’s Hospital Akron Marathon Race Series will be paused until 2021 so that all of our loyal Blue Liners can continue their series status.
If you are registered for the 2020 Akron Marathon Race Series, you can donate or defer your National Interstate & Goodyear events to 2021. You will need to make these selections on both registrations.
Q: Why isn’t there a virtual race option?
A: Our organization was in a unique situation with the timing of the cancellation, ahead of the National Interstate 8k & 1 Mile and the Goodyear Half Marathon & 10k. Instead of spending thousands of dollars on t-shirts and medals, we’re cancelling and showing our support to those on the front lines. We were compelled to make a deeper impact, so we will be donating a minimum donation of $20,000 to the Akron Community Foundation’s Community Response Fund, a fund that supports local nonprofits assisting those who are most impacted by COVID-19, and invite runners to join us in choosing to donate their race entry to make an even deeper impact.
Q: Will I still receive my 2020 race premiums for the canceled event(s)?
A: Unfortunately, you will not receive the premiums for the canceled event(s).
Q: I registered with a comp code; what will happen with my registration?
A: We will email you directly with options depending on the type of comp code you registered with.
Q: I purchased the protection policy when I registered. How do I file a claim?
A: Please see FanShield’s COVID-19 Policy information
Q: Is registration open for the 2020 FirstEnergy Akron Marathon, Half Marathon & Team Relay? Will the event be the same?
A: Registration for the September events remains open at this time.
The Akron Marathon and its medical team from Summa Health will continue to monitor government and CDC guidelines for mass gatherings and will provide updates on future races as information becomes available.
We are looking forward to coming together on the Blue Line and will do so only when we can provide a safe, well-organized race for our runners.