The 5-person Team Relay presented by Novo Nordisk is the largest team marathon relay in the United States. Teams run along with our traditional marathoners on the same blue line route. The Team Relay offers a distance for everyone, regardless of your fitness level!
- Team Relay Cap: 6,500 participants / 1,300 teams
- Start Time: 7:00 a.m.
- Course Open: 6-hours, the course will close on a continuous pace of 13:44 minutes per mile (course closes promptly at 1:00 p.m.)
- Minimum Age: 15-years on Race Day
- FREE Gender Specific Technical Short Sleeve Shirt (sizing based on availability)
- FREE Goodie Bag
- FREE One Year Subscription to Running Times
- FREE Food and Michelob Ultra at Finish Line
- FREE Gear Bag service provided by FedEx Custom Critical
- Commemorative Finishers Medallion
Slap Bracelet – The first runner will be given a slap bracelet to be worn on the right wrist. THE FIRST RUNNER MUST PICK UP A BRACELET AT THE RELAY REGISTRATION AREA AT THE EXPO. At each relay exchange point, the incoming runner will pass the snap bracelet to his or her team member. No relay member can leave for his or her relay leg without wearing the slap bracelet.
Forming a Relay Team
Corporations, non-profit groups, civic organizations and friends are encouraged to assemble their 5-person teams and compete!
Running Two Legs - If a runner is running 2-consecutive legs the team must be paid in full. The runner running two legs must be registered twice and pay twice to complete their team and be counted in the 6,500 cap. Only complete teams will be counted in the 6,500 cap.
Team Relay Registration Instructions - Follow these easy instructions for registering your Novo Nordisk 5 Person Team:
1. Identify a Team Captain
2. The Team Captain should register his/her team by going to the online registration section of Akron Marathon website. A team can be easily created by clicking on the link: Team Captains-Create Your Team.
3. Team Captains will have to sign up for a free Active.com account, which will allow you to monitor your team registrations, contact your team, etc. You must have an established Team Name to enter your team.
4. After the team is created, the Team Captain may register and pay for the entire team OR individual team members can complete the online registration and pay the individual portion of the entry fee on his or her own.
• Team Captain Registering Entire Team: The Team Captain may register all team members at once by following Team Captains – Create Your Team. Then go the register now. After completing the information, click on Register Someone Else and insert the next runner’s information.
• Individual Team Members Registering Separately: The Team Captain must create the team name online during the registration process prior to any other team member completing online registration. After the Team Captain has created a team name, team members can click on Register Now during the normal registration process and select their team name from the drop down menu and proceed with registration.
Relay Exchange Zones
Relay Exchange Point Procedures – As you approach a relay exchange point at the end of your leg, you will be directed to run over a timing mat. This will provide a split time for each relay team member. NO D-TAGS WILL BE TRANSFERRED. Be sure the next runner does not cross this mat at anytime. Continue for a short distance beyond the timing mat where race volunteers will assist you in fi nding your teammate and exchanging your slap bracelet. With the exception of the fi rst leg runner, the outgoing runner will NOT go over a timing mat at the start of his or her leg, but only at the completion of their leg. Upon finding your relay member, exchange the slap bracelet and clear the race course so as not to interfere with incoming runners. If a relay team member drops out of the race, a medical station volunteer will alert volunteers at the next relay exchange point. The remaining team members will be able to complete the marathon relay, but the team will be officially disqualified from any prize winnings. If you drop out of the race for any reason, notify a medical station volunteer so your teammates can be notified. Transportation to Finish Line Relay exchange point race volunteers will direct you to the shuttle, which will return you to the Canal Park Marathon Finish location. There is no shuttle service from Relay Point 2 or 3 to the finish line.
Shuttle Bus Service
Optional shuttle bus service will be provided from Downtown Akron to the following relay points: 4 and 5. In addition, there will be transportation for finishing relay runners to return to the finish line at Canal Park. The shuttle bus service is not offered for Relay Points #2 and #3 as it is a short walk to/from Downtown Akron and the race finish at Canal Park Stadium.
Runners are encouraged to meet their teammates at Canal Park to provide an enthusiastic reception for their final team member and enjoy the post-race experience party. There will be free food and drinks at the finish for all of our runners.
Feel free to arrange your own transportation to/from relay points; however, we strongly encourage use of this shuttle system, as driving and parking are extremely limited in some areas.
Shuttle Schedule to Relay Points – Load-in Location: Corner of South Main Street and West Exchange Street near Bricco Restaurant
Canal Park To Relay Point #4 Sand Run Parkway & Portage Path 7:15am-9:30am Canal Park To Relay Point #5 Firestone High School 7:30am-10:30am
Return Shuttle Schedule to Canal Park Departing relay points as follows: Relay #4 Sand Run Parkway & Portage Path to Canal Park 8:30am-11:00am. Relay #5 Firestone High School to Canal Park 9:15am-12:15pm