Akron, OH (Sept. 19, 2019) — The marquee event of the Akron Children’s Hospital Akron Marathon Race Series, the FirstEnergy Akron Marathon, Half Marathon and Team Relay on Sat., Sept. 28, 2019, is approaching 90 percent sold out, thanks to a new running experience beginning inside the historic grounds of Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens.
Excitement and preparations are building for one of Akron’s largest events of the year. The new course goes through beautiful West Akron neighborhoods, crosses the iconic All-America bridge into North Hill, takes runners down the all-new Main St. and into the Firestone Park neighborhoods before returning to downtown on the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail—where a world-class finish inside Canal Park Stadium and popular Finisher Festival on the field awaits them. The redesigned course also includes new elevation changes, with less upward climbs for runners, and features a net 150’ drop in the Marathon and Half Marathon.
And while the Akron Marathon, Half Marathon and Team Relay will see more than 10,000 participants—the event is expected to bring spectators into the city.
“We’re creating a world-class running experience for our participants, and our spectators help us set that stage as a vital part of amplifying our race atmosphere in Akron,” states Anne Bitong, executive director of the Akron Marathon Charitable Corporation. “Whether you join us in support of one particular runner, or are there to cheer on the masses, we’re looking forward to seeing you along the Blue Line!”
Here are ways to participate in each of the six Akron neighborhoods:
Northwest Akron and Merriman Hills:
▪ Start Line: Parking Location: King Community Learning Center, 805 Memorial Pkwy, Akron, OH 44303
▪ Line Portage Path and give the runners a great send-off at the start of the race at 7:30 a.m. and watch runners come back through Mile 10 from 8:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
▪ Stop in the FirstEnergy Hero Zone near the intersection of Portage Path and Memorial Parkway and power up with noisemakers and snacks from 7:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
Northwest Akron, Wallhaven and Highland Square:
▪ Mile 5.5: Parking Location: Fairlawn Country Club, 200 N Wheaton Rd., Akron, OH 44313
▪ Join your neighbors for the infamous Blue Line Block Parties on: Overwood from 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m., Wiltshire from 8:00 a.m. – 9:15 a.m. and Hardesty Park from 8:00 a.m. – 9:45 a.m.
▪ Join the party at Highland Square, and enjoy food and entertainment as runners run by from 8:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
▪ Milkshake Mile which will be at Mile 7 on S. Hawkins featuring Swenson’s food truck passing out blue line milkshake shots for runners and spectators in celebration of their 85th anniversary
North Akron, Cascade Valley and Downtown:
▪ Mile 12.4, 15.9 and Finish Line: Parking Location: The University of Akron, 225 S. Forge St., Akron, OH 44308
▪ Watch the Marathon and Half Marathoners split at the intersection of W. Market and S. Main Street at Mile 12.4 from 8:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
▪ Join the fun at the Akron Children’s Hospital Hero Zone at Mile 25.5, the block on Bowery Street from West Exchange to State streets, with five of this year’s Hero Patients, 12 former Hero Patients and music from 91.3 The Summit from 10 a.m. to noon. Parking available in the Exchange Street Deck.
▪ Cheer on the runners as they finish the race inside Canal Park Stadium from 8:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
South Akron and Firestone Park:
▪ Mile 22: Parking Location: St. Paul Church, 1580 Brown St., Akron, OH 44301
▪ Watch the race and enjoy great food and live music at the Ido Bar on S. Main Street from 9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
▪ Join your neighbors at Firestone Park and cheer on the runners from 9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Summit Lake and Kenmore:
▪ Mile 23: Parking Location: Reach Opportunity Center, 980 Lake Shore Blvd, Akron, OH
▪ Join the Devil Strip’s Blue Line Block Party at Mile 24 from 9:40 a.m. – 1:40 p.m
▪ Watch Relay Runners trade off at the final Exchange Zone at Mile 23.4, enjoy music, food and fun at the Reach Opportunity Center from 9:30 a.m. – 1:15 p.m.
If you live along the Blue Line and are interested in hosting a block party, the Akron Marathon will provide you a block party kit with festive items and noisemakers to get the party started. If you are interested in hosting a Blue Line block party, please connect with Katie Riley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additionally, runners looking to go the extra mile can become a Children’s Champion and are invited to raise funds in honor of the Hero Patients. The partnership between the Akron Marathon and Akron Children’s Hospital allows our races to serve as a major fundraiser for the hospital. To date, $1.7 million has been donated to Akron Children’s Hospital through the race series.
To become a Children’s Champion or for more information on race registration and volunteer opportunities, please visit at AkronMarathon.org.
# # #
About the Akron Children’s Hospital Akron Marathon Race Series
The Akron Children’s Hospital Akron Marathon Race Series is organized by the Akron Marathon Charitable Corporation, a non-profit group founded in 2002 to provide a world-class marathon and other events that promote health and fitness, stimulate the local economy, galvanize the community and benefit charitable organizations. The series features race dates in June (National Interstate 8k & 1-Mile) and August (Goodyear Half Marathon & 10k), culminating with the 17th running of the FirstEnergy Akron Marathon, Half Marathon, Team Relay & Kids Fun Run in September. Additional information is available at AkronMarathon.org or by calling (330) 434-2RUN (2786).
Contact: Akron Marathon Charitable Corporation
Kat Pestian, email@example.com 330-714-2274