NATIONAL INTERSTATE 8K & 1 MILE
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
NEW 2021 EVENT CHANGES
- All events have been tweaked to provide social distancing and minimize contact.
- We will have both virtual and in-person races for all events. Please note, you will not be able to use a virtual bib to participate in-person.
- Participants will select their packet pick-up time in 30-minute windows during the registration process. There will be no race day packet pick-up. Virtual participant’s packets will be mailed.
- The race will start with 10 separate waves. There will be 200 participants per wave, each wave will take approximately 5 minutes to start. Each participant will have a designated wave based on their pace per mile. Participants will select their pace per mile during the registration process. Wave number will be indicated on your race bib.
- Certain services have been suspended including gear check, pace teams, and awards ceremony.
- We focused on maximizing number of runners so spectators will be limited due to max of 1500 in stadium. Please be aware that only 200 spectators can be in the stadium at any given time.
- Masks MUST be worn by participants, spectators, and volunteers. Participants can remove them while actively running. Masks should be worn as they approach the aid stations, fluid stations, and finish line.
- Please be sure to read all race related emails and Final Instructions leading up to race day for the latest race information and instructions.
Q: What are the runner premiums for the June races?
Short Sleeve Premium Cotton Shirt
Post-Race Recovery Food & Beer (21 & older)
Short Sleeve Premium Cotton Shirt
Post-Race Recovery Food & Soft Drink
Q: Is there a minimum age requirement?
A: The minimum age for the 8k is 12 years old and the minimum age for the 1 Mile is 8 years old.
Q: What is the start time and location?
A: The 8k and 1 Mile will start at 7:30 a.m. at 361 S. Union St. Akron, OH 44304, outside of InfoCision Stadium at the University of Akron. Due to COVID-19, the Start Line will be modified so runners are 6-feet apart in the corrals with 200 runners starting in each corral. The start of the race will be staggered to start over the course of 50 minutes. Runners may not enter the stadium until 30 minutes before their corral loading time.
Q: After registering will I receive additional information?
A: Yes, we will send emails leading up to race day with additional information to help you get ready. Final instructions are sent 2-weeks prior to the race via email and are also posted on the website. When registering, please provide your primary email address.
Q: What is the average temperature on race day?
A: The temperature typically varies from 62°F to 78°F and is rarely below 54°F or above 86°F
Q: Where will I pick-up my packet?
A: At the InfoCision Stadium-Concourse located at 375 E Exchange Street Akron, Ohio 44304 on Friday, June 25, 2021 from 11:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. Runners will choose a pickup time during registration in 30-minute increments. You will receive an email race week with your bib number and your pickup time. Please know your bib number prior to arriving. To allow for more spacing, 8k participants with a bib range 1-999 and all 1 Mile participants will pick up their packets at the Southwest concourse entering from Gate 1. 8k participants bib range 1,000+ will pick up their packets at the Southeast concourse entering from Gate 4. There will be NO race day pick up. All virtual participant’s packets will be mailed.
Q: May I purchase tasting tickets as a spectator or runner?
A: No. Due to COVID-19, there will not be beer sales.
Q: When is the virtual race?
A: You can run/walk your race between June 26, 2021-August 7, 2021.
Q: How does a virtual race work?
A: A Virtual Race is a race you can run at any location, at your pace, outside or on a treadmill. You will run the race distance and upload your finishing time. We suggest that all runners follow recommendations as provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to help slow the spread of COVID-19. We ask that you do not use the National Interstate 8k & 1 Mile course route as it is not pedestrian safe without the usual race day street closures and safety assistance with traffic. Please note if you are registered for the virtual event & later decide to participate in-person you must contact email@example.com to update your registration. You will not be able to use a virtual bib to participate in-person.
Please review the following 2021 policies carefully prior to registering:
- No refunds or deferrals will be offered.
- We will have both in-person and virtual options for all events.
- We will open registration with lower caps in all events. If the state of the pandemic subsides, additional spots may become available.
- If the 2021 Akron Marathon Race Series presented by Summa Health in-person event(s) are canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all participants will be automatically converted to the virtual event. There will be no refunds or deferments offered for the event – no exceptions.
- Each participant will need to agree to the Operational & Safety Guidelines.
Q: I deferred my 2020 registration. How do I register for 2021 and what are my options?
A: All participants who deferred their 2020 registration will be automatically uploaded into the same in-person event for 2021. You will receive an email on Wednesday, January 13, 2021 with instructions on how to claim your registration, sign your waiver and answer additional questions. Please note your 2021 registration is not finalized until you complete the instructions in the email. If you did not receive an email, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Participants who deferred their 2020 registration will be registered for the same event they originally registered for in 2020. If you wish to register for a different event or participate virtually, please email email@example.com.
Q: Will the number of runners be limited in any of the events?
A: The 1 Mile race will be capped at 150 participants. The 8k will be capped at 1,950 participants.
Q: I originally registered for the in-person event and would like to participate virtually / I registered for virtual race and would like to participate in-person can I switch; is there a fee?
A: Yes, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to switch your registration. There is not a fee to do so.
If switching from in-person event to virtual, please note that to guarantee on time delivery of your premiums, this should be done by May 1, 2021. Changes can be made after May 1; however, delivery time is not guaranteed.
If switching from virtual event to in-person, this can only happen if the caps have not been met.
Q: Will you email a confirmation to me?
A: Once you register online, you will receive a confirmation email immediately from Race Roster. Please provide your primary email address.
Q: Can I register on the day of the race?
A: No, online registration for the in-person event closes on Tuesday, June 22. Registration for virtual events will close on May 28, 2021. Due to COVID-19, there will be no on-site registration at Packet Pick-Up.
Q: I can't remember if I registered. Can I confirm my registration?
A: To confirm your National Interstate 8k & 1 Mile registration, click here to access Race Rosters “confirm registration” page.
Q: I was injured after registering for the race. Can I get a refund or defer until next year or a different event?
A: No – there will be NO refunds or deferments. We incur fixed costs for each runner based on registration numbers. As a result, we are not able to allow any refunds.
Q: What distances are offered for the June race?
A: 8k & 1 Mile distances are available.
Q: What is the time limit for each event?
8k – 90 minutes (18:06 pace)
1 Mile – 30 minutes
Q: Where does the 1 Mile split from the 8K?
A: Runners will begin to separate on Spicer Street. There will be cones, signs and volunteers to help direct runners. The 1 Mile will split off to head into the stadium just after crossing over Exchange Street.
Q: Do you allow walkers?
A: Yes. The 8k course will remain open for one hour and 30 minutes meaning that the course will close on a pace of 18:06 minutes per mile. Anyone who cannot maintain the 18:06 min/mile pace must move to the sidewalk to allow vehicular traffic through. Runner services cannot be guaranteed for participants beyond the 18:06/30 min/mile pace. The 1 Mile course will be open for 30 minutes.
Q: What type of running surface is on the course?
A: The race is run on paved asphalt and concrete streets.
Q: What type of liquids do you provide along the course?
A: Water and BodyArmor will be provided at all fluid stations along the course and at the finish line.
Q: Is it possible to drive the course?
A: The course is not entirely drivable due to some restricted areas only accessible to runners on race day.
Q: Will Pace Teams be available during this race?
A: Due to COVID-19, pace team services have been suspended in an effort to socially distance runners.
Q: Can I wear headphones while racing on the course?
A: Yes, runners participating in the Akron Marathon Race Series presented by Summa Health may use portable listening devices. At all times, runners must be aware of their surroundings and be courteous of those around them. So, if you plan to run with music, make certain that you can hear audible cues from race officials and those runners in your immediate area.
Q: Are strollers, or special vehicles permitted on the course?
A: The following items are not permitted on the course: skateboards, scooters, bicycles, roller blades, baby joggers, baby carriers or any other types of vehicles (other than official race vehicles). These regulations are for the participant’s safety and the safety of the other participants in the race.
Q: Where should spectators go to watch?
A: The 8k and 1 Mile will start at the intersection of Union Street and Exchange Street at 7:30 a.m. Spectators have great opportunities to see their runners from various points that require little walking. It is recommended that runners and spectators choose a meeting location, prior to the race, to meet up at after the race.
- Start watching the race just outside the stadium on Brown St.
- After the start, walk one block east to Spicer Street to see the runners at mile 1.
- From Spicer, head back towards the Start Line and utilize the sidewalk to Gate 3, on Vine St, to receive your seat tickets.
- *There is a limited amount of spectator tickets, which are free of charge, that will be available on race morning at Gate 3. Please be aware that only 200 spectators can be in the stadium at any given time. You must enter and exit through gate 3 so numbers can be monitored and to allow waiting spectators the chance to see their runners finish.
- *Please be mindful of those around you and keep 6-feet distance between you and other spectators.
- *Masks are mandatory while along the course, and inside the stadium.
Q: Will there be awards for each event?
A: Due to COVID-19 there will not be an Award Ceremony.
Overall awards will be based on gun time. Age groups awards will be based on chip time.
The following awards will be mailed post-event to in-person participants:
Top 3 Men’s and Women’s Overall
Top 3 Men’s and Women’s Masters
Top 3 Men’s and Women’s Age Group
Top 3 Men’s and Women’s Overall
Top 3 Men’s and Women’s Masters
Q: Can I win double awards (overall and age group)?
A: No. You can only win one award. There is no double dipping for awards. If a masters finished in top 3 overall, they become an overall and taken out of Masters.
Q: What age is Masters?
A: You must be at least 40 years of age on race day.
Q: What's the age breakdown for Age Group Awards?
A: Age group awards are only awarded in the 8k event.
Age groups: 19 and under, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69 and 70+.
All awards will be mailed; please allow 4-6 weeks. Please note, virtual participants are not included in awards since virtual results are unofficial. Age group awards will be based on chip time.
Q: Will there be series awards?
A: Yes for in-person participants, please visit our Series Scoring page to learn more about these awards. Series awards will be mailed, please allow 6-8 weeks.